Monday, July 27, 2015

Back to the basics - Monday, July 13, 2015

Hiya mum, dad, and family, 

To answer your question about finances, I haven't taken the driving test yet but I have payed for it already, so that was the big chunk of money that was taken out. The mission will reimburse (I think that is how you spell it) but it won't go back to my card. So I will get something for my birthday from that money. I will be taking the driving test on the 30th of July, so wish me luck please. As for the hair...I know I need to get a haircut, it is not the money that is an issue, its that it just seems like there is no time for anything. I won't be able to get a haircut until next week unfortunately. I am sorry about it. I will try and be better. Is Tanners finger okay? Is it broken? Congrats to Uncle Doug. Tell them all hi for me please. It sounds like it has been a good week for you all and thank you for the testimony you sent me. It was wonderful. 

Lets see, this week I have learned loads, and seen loads of miracles! First I learned that many times we as members of the church get caught up in the "deep doctrine" and then we forget about the simple and plain things in which our testimonies are built. I realized this week that I need to go back to the basics and always focus on the basics of the gospel. Because in reality that is what we are teaching and what matters most. So if I were to say anything to you all...that is be anchored in the basics, the foundation of the Church and great knowledge will be given to us as time proceeds. 

Now for miracles of the week: I guess I will start with some people that we have been trying to get in and see for quite sometime now. Steve and Shelli-We have taught them once but they are always really really busy. Well we set up an appointment with them and luckily we were able to get in and teach. Now they have read a bit of the Book of Mormon, but did say themselves that they need to do better. So Steve pulled his Ipad out and said do you all have an app or something? Well Steve we definitely do. We showed him Gospel Library and he downloaded it. He said it will be easier for him to read because he can listen to it as well. We had a plan on teaching them the Plan of Salvation but the lesson was lead a different way. They asked us if they became "Mormon" what would they be obligated to do? They brought up Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity, and Law of Tithing. Elder Pryor and I were a bit apprehensive at first but we started teaching them about the commandments and they reacted very well to them. They said that it completely makes sense and that if they found out it was true they would live the commandments. So Shelli and Steve aren't married, they are planning on getting married next summer, I don't know how it came up, but somehow temples were brought into the conversation. Well Steve has his mind set on getting married in a specific church, and when she saw the picture of the temple she looked at steve and all that happened was steve laughed and said no. Shelli wanted to be married in the temple! It was one of those things that you would have had to been there! The lesson didn't go at all to plan but it was really good and they are very interested in what we have to say. Hopefully as we continue teaching them they will have a desire to first be married soon, and then be baptized! 

Caroline introduced us to her friend Rhys. He is a really cool guy and you can see that he is really interested and has a sincere desire to learn about what we have to teach. He came to church and started reading the Book of Mormon before we even started teaching him. He says that he feels good about everything that we have taught him and that he is still trying to find out if the chruch is true but that he is on his way. He has had a hard time with praying but this last time we saw him, he almost immedietely told us he prayed and that it was easier than he ever thought it would be. We are hardly doing anything. To be honest I think that it is Caroline, because she has borne amazing testimony to Rhys and he has seen the blessings of the gospel in her life. Caroline is still doing awesome. She got her temple recommend and is going to the temple here soon. We are so excited for her! Rhys did tell us that he wanted to wait to be baptized until he finished the Book of Mormon, next time we are going to talk about the Book of Mormon and baptism and hopefully he will understand that he can receive an answer before he finishes the Book. He is such a cool guy. 

Nessa and Nathan (the chavs) are ace! They are so cool. I mean they have a lot of things that are going on in their life and some things that they will have to overcome but they are on their way to the blessings that come from baptism and the gospel of Jesus Christ. This last time they told us that they have seen a change in their lives ever since they met us. They are just so chill.

Well as you can see loads of miracles are happening. I am learning so much and seeing so many miracles in the work that I am participating in. Hopefully as we stay obedient and diligent miracles will continue to happen. I love this gospel and I love my Saviour Jesus Christ. 

God be with you till we meet again. On our way. #10sof1000s. HE LIVES 

Love, Elder Tyler Rife

No comments:

Post a Comment