Wednesday, November 12, 2014

SURPRISE Email for us today! Wednesday, November 12, 2014

We Got a fun surprise today!  I had just dropped Kylee off for school and had stopped at my Mother's like I usually do each day.  I checked my email over there for some reason and WOW... I was so surprised to see that Tyler had sent us an email at 3:48 AM!  I opened it quickly to make sure all was okay and found this:


Dear Mom and Dad,

You can share this with the family as well, I was just being lazy so I only sent it to you two. We had Zone Conference yesterday and President Pilkington told us to write our parents and tell them what we felt. (just to explain that I'm not being a dodgey missionary) ;) 

Well this won't be long. I know people say that things which are said are meant for them, but when I say this I mean it. What was said yesterday was meant for me. It was kind of a slap to the face really. Lately I have been a little stressed, and I started getting down on myself a bit, I was still working hard but I just kept thinking things were going wrong. I went to Zone Conference with kind of a bad attitude which I shouldn't have. Yesterday was the 100th year anniversary of the armistice of World War 1. Millions of people died during this time, young men especially. It was hard for them and hard for their families. I had the great opportunity to stand for 2 minutes in complete silence and give reverence to all those men who sacrificed their lives so you, and I, and everyone would have the freedom that we have today. Sister Pilkington was talking about this and she gave us this song that the soldiers would sing, it goes like this: "Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag, and smile, smile, smile, Just think of all the happy times we'll have, smile boys, that's the style. What's the use of worrying? It never was worthwhile. So, pack up your troubles in your old kit bag, and smile, smile, smile. That hit me hard because it made me think that I should't be so down. Like the song says what is the use of worrying? it never is worthwhile. It then got me thinking about the mission. A mission is going to be hard, this is going to be hard for me, it won't be easy and I don't know why I thought it would be easy, because in reality we are serving the Lord, we are doing as Christ did, and when you think about it, it was never easy for Him. This is something small that we can do. When things get hard, when we want to give up and stop trying, just remember to smile, remember that its not easy but because it's not easy we are standing shoulder to shoulder with the greatest person that ever lived. We are standing shoulder to shoulder with Christ. He has our back. Smile today, because tomorrow you may not have teeth! I learned so much more and wish I could explain more of my thoughts but for now this is all I will say. When things get hard keep going. My favorite quote is by Rocky Balboa which I'm sure I have shared with you multiple times, "life will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it, but it doesn't matter how hard you hit, what matters is how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. That is how winning is done" 

I love you all so much and I hope that made sense. President just told us to email you our thoughts...so that really are my thoughts, all over the place. Remember to always move forward no matter what, we are representatives of Jesus Christ. We wear His name on our hearts and we must choose to follow Him. We are representatives of Jesus Christ, and we will not be shaken. God be with you. We are on our way. #10sof1000s. 

Love, Tyler 

It was a wonderful reminder for me today!
So thank you Tyler for your thoughts. I'm so glad your mission president felt like it would be a good thing to share your thoughts with your family.
I will remember to smile today....because I definitely DON'T want to be without teeth!!!!  
(LOVED that part!  Silly kid!!!)
 :D

Also, Yesterday we received a very sweet email from a lady Tyler and his former companion Elder Fergurson had the blessing of teaching and baptizing earlier in October.
Quite a "payday" for us as parents!

Good Evening

You don't know me and I hope you don't mind me intruding like this.

My name is Janine Taylor and I live in Leeds, UK.

I got your email address's from Elder Rife.

I just wanted to write to say what an amazing young man you have brought up, Elder Rife is indeed a credit to you both. I am very new to the Church, being introduced to it in May by some dear dear friends from Provo, Utah. I attended church with them from May until September when they flew home for the Winter. This meant I had to find my own branch of LDS. This is where I had the privilege of meeting your son along with his companion Elder Ferguson, (they made an awesome team). They became my Elders, looked after me, taught me and eventually baptised me.

I have a bond with both these guys that is inexplicable. The sharing and being involved with my baptism gives them a special place in my heart.

I am a Mum to a 16 year old boy and they remind me so much of him. I am perhaps a wee but mumsy and look out for them a little.

I hope you didn't mind me writing but I am so honoured to have met such a wonderful young man, I feel truly blessed. He is doing you guys proud over here and is an exemplary missionary, hard working, caring and so  funny.

We carved pumpkins for Halloween for the church trunk or treat, I shall send you a photo of Elder Rife's. we were so impressed, he has a hidden talent.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Kind regards


Janine Taylor

And Then....
to make the day even BETTER...
Kylee got the mail as she came home from school 
and.....

WE GOT LETTERS for the GIRLS!!!!

Fun Week!  Thanks Tyler... 
We Sure LOVE that boy!


( Hope you all don't mind me posting this pic of our missionary again...but I just LOVE that cute smile!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment